I talked to Mama a week ago and I am feeling homesick. Whenever I am feeling that way, I turn to food that reminds me of home, remind me of my family. Squash is one vegetable that is very affordable from where I grew up. My Mother used to cook this for us when we were kids with crabs or other seafood and it was always a hit. Having said that, I bought an acorn squash from the store a couple of days ago so I can cook it the way Mama used to.
- Small size of acorn or any kind of squash
- 1 medium sized tomatoes, sliced
- a small size of ginger root
- 1 piece of lemon grass
- 1/2 onion
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 5 frozen tilapia fillets
- salt and pepper to taste
- a dash of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of crushed chili peper
- Cut the squash in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and other soft tissue of the squash. Peel the skin and slice them up into desired sizes,. I usually slice it 1/2 thick.
- Open the can of coconut milk and pour it in the pan.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, ginger, lemon grass, salt and pepper.
- Let the coconut boil then add the tilapia. Let it cook for about 7 minutes then remove the tilapia from the pan so that when you put the squash, the fish won't break into pieces.
- Cook the squash until it is tender, usually about 15 minutes or so depending on how thik you cut the them.