My husband and kids were feeling under the weather lately so I decided to make Tinolang Manok. Tinolang Manok is a Filipino dish where chicken, onion, green papaya, and ginger are the main ingredients. I don't have papaya here so I just use whatever veggies is available in my friedge/freezer. Here's how I made this dish.
- 3 chicken breasts
- one onion
- 1 big chunk of ginger, sliced or crushed
- 1 small bag of frozen gourd
- 1/2 cup mallunggay (morninga leaves)
- 5 okra
- a bunch of pepper leaves
- 1 chicken cube (you may substitute this with chicken broth)
- 1 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
- 1 quart water (you can use chicken broth in place of the chicken cube and water)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Thai peppers
- Normally, this dish calls for cooking oil to saute all the ingredients before adding the broth or water but since we are avoiding cooking oil, I decided to just pre-boiled the chicken breast and added the chicken cube in it.
- When the chicken was cooked, I removed it from the pot and cut it in cubes/desired pieces.
- Put the ginger, onion, Thai pepper, and green veggies except the leafy vegetables to the pot, cook for 7 top ten minutes.
- Put the chicken back to the pot and add the leafy vegetable.
- Add a tbsp of fish saice, salt and pepper.