I have mentioned from my Fitness and Fashion blog that I received a coupon to try Hello Fresh. It's a food subscription company that deliver fresh ingredients right to your door. The coupon was a 50% discount off a box so I wanted to see if we will like it. I only got the three meals a week for two people. We are not big eaters so the meal for two is actually enough for the four of us. My daughter got inspired that everything was in the box so she volunteered to cook us dinner. She chose the Skillet Chicken Pot Pie.
- 2 chicken breast
- 4 oz of green peas
- 1 carrot
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 chicken stocks concentrate
- 1/4 oz thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup four
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Halve, peel, and finely dice the onion. Finely dice the celery. Peel and finely dice the carrot. Mince or grate the garlic. Strip the thyme from the stems and roughly chop the leaves.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a medium oven-proof pan over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, carrot, garlic, and thyme to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the biscuit dough. IN a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Gently stir in 1/3 cup heavy cream until a very shaggy dough form. Sprinkle your counter with 1 tablespoon flour, then turn the mixture out onto the counter and briefly knead into a ball. Press into 1 inch thick disk, wrap with plastic, and place in the freezer to chill.
- Make the gravy. Sprinkle 2 tablespoon flour over the vegetable in the pan. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute. Very slowly whisk 2 cups water and the chicken stock concentrate into the pan. Bring to a boil. then reduce to a simmer for 8 minutes, until very thick. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Cook the chicken. While the gravy simmers, heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken breast on all sides with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5 minutes per side until cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Form the biscuits. Remove the biscuit dough from the freezer and place onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly pressed into a 3/4 inch thick square. Cut into 4 quarters.
- Finish the pot pie. Dice the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes. Fold the chicken and peas into the gravy. Top the mixture with the biscuits. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the biscuits are puffed and golden brown.