Inspired by Melissa d'Arabian's Ten Dollar Menu recipe from Food Network, I made my own version of her Pot Roast Carbonade by changing some of the ingredients. She used beer on her recipe but I used Kahlua on mine. Kahlua is a coffee liquor. I also added some Mirin (a Korean's sweet cooking rice seasoning) to it and it's absolutely savory. So here's how.
You need: (no specific measuring for this)
- Beef (cut into desired pieces)
- One Onion (Chopped finely)
- Dried Prunes (optional)
- Bacon, 2 strips
- Kahlua (or beer)
- Mirin (optional)
- Render the fat of the lardon in a pan. I didn't have lardon so I used the regular bacon. Set aside.
- Caramelize the onion in a slow heat. Set aside when it's done.
- Brown the beef to the pan, add some oil if you need to (I didn't). It's important that you brown all of the sides of the beef.
- Add the kahlua or beer. I only add like three tablespoon of it since I only have a small amount of beef.
- Add a couple table spoon of Mirin (this is optional)
- Add the carrots, potatoes, prunes, bacon, and caramelized onions.
- Cooked in a medium high heat for about 20 minutes till the veggies are cooked.