This cup cake is called "The King's Cake", a custom that began in France. Legend has it that cakes were made in a circle to represent the circular routes that the wise men took to find Jesus in order to confuse King Herod and foil his plans of killing the Christ Child. Bakers would hide a "baby" representing Jesus in the cake. Whoever found the baby was said to have Good Luck in the coming year.
The word Mardi Gras means "Fat Tuesday" in French. Mardi Gras is the last party before LENT begins on Ash Wednesday. Lent is a time of prayer, preparation, and sacrifice to celebrate Easter.
The official color of Mardi Gras are purple (a symbol of justice), Green (representing faith), and Gold (to signify power).
A Spice A Day # 58
- My quest to update this blog daily -
February 27, 2012:
- My eyes are so watery because of cold I am having. Sometimes my right ear can't hear anymore because my nose is so clogged. Both hubby and I are so congested. Ms. Burrito's cough went away, thanks God for that but Mr. Burrito is still coughing.
- We made some pork chop, steamed broccoli, and cream corn for dinner. Sorry hon, I wasn't able to make the mashed potatoes you requested.
- Me and Mr. Burrito started to read another book. We were not able to have classes last week because of the stomach flu so we have some catching up to do.
- All my lovelies are now asleep and I would love to go to sleep now too. My eyes are not cooperating right now.