Homesickness... the hardest part of being thousands of miles away from your family. Sometimes, when I am homesick, I make some food that reminds me of home. One of those many that I miss about my Mom is her Lima Beans menu. We call it percoles in bicol term. Here's a simple and easy recipe.
You will need.
- 1 bag of baby lima beans (frozen) - the best alternative to fresh ones
- 1 can of coconut milk (13.5 fl.oz)
- a pack of frozen shrimp
- 1 medium size sliced onions
- a piece of ginger about thumb size, crushed
- hot peppers (optional) I love mine soooo hot
- a teaspoon of shrimp paste (bagoong), optional
- fish sauce, optional, you can use salt.
- Put the coconut milk in a pan then add the onion, ginger, shrimp paste, fish sauce, and peppers.
- Wait till it boils while stirring occasionally, then add the lima beans.
- Add the shrimp last as it cooks fast. I usually add the shrimp when I am about to turn off the heat of the stove.
Hubby knows when I am homesick because I cook these "odd food". Odd just because I seldom make them in our kitchen lol. A bag of Lima beans serves me for a long time as I divide them in a small container, each container is good for one serving, and then I put them in a freezer. When I crave for it, I just take one out from the freezer, nuked it and I have an instant ulam with rice!