A friend of mine gave me some bitter melon and long gourd. We call long gourd Upo in the Phiilippines. It's a great vegetable to cook with meat or fish soup. I wasn't able to plant one this year so I am glad that I was given one.
Here's how I freeze ithe long gourd.
- Peel the skin off using a vegetable peeler and slice it in half.
- Remove the stuff inside the gourd using a spoon.
- Then slice them according to desired size.
- Blanch it in a boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drained the hot water and plunge the blanched gourd immediately in an ice water. Let it chill for 5 minutes before draining the water.
- Let it drain thouroughly. You can lay it on a kitchen towel or have it drained on a strainer.
- Put it in a ziploc and put it in the freezer. Make sure to put the date.