A friend of mine shared a recipe of this rigatoni pie on her Facebook wall so I thought of trying to make it. My kids love rigatoni and so does my husband so it was a perfect recipe to try. I didn't have all the ingredients I need so I just made it with the available stuff I have in the kitchen.
Here's what you need.
- 1 box of rigatoni
- 1 lbs spicy italian sausage
- 1 quart home made romato sauce (store bought is ok too)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 medium size shallots
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the past according to the direction on the box. Drain the pasta and toss a/2 cup of grated cheese and arrange it in a cake pan as shown above then set aside.
- Mixed one beaten egg with the ricotta cheese and parsley flakes. Then put the cheese mixture on top of the pasta.
- In a medium pan, brown the italian sausage. Add the chopped shallots, wine, and the tomato sauce. Add salt and pepper tp taste.
- When the meat sauce is done (the longer the sauce coook, the better), pour it on top.
- Add the remaining shredded cheese on top and bake it for 25 minutes.