I found this recipe through the newsletter that SparkPeople sent me in my email. I thought of trying it for Valentine's day. I like that it is the healthier variation of donuts because it is not fried but baked! Your ticker will love that these are baked not fried. It takes 120 minutes to prepare and 13 minutes to cook.
- 4 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 T yeast
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1 cup milk, warmed to around 140 degrees
- 6 T butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 t salt
- 2 eggs
For the chocolate sauce
- 12 chocolate Hershey kisses
- 1/4 cup chocolate milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa syrup
- Mix 2 cups flour with yeast, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Heat the milk, butter, and half the sugar until it reaches 140 F.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, along with the eggs. Mix until smooth.
- Add more flour, a little at a time until the dough is smooth.
- Cover and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free area for an hour, until it doubles in size.
- Split the dough in half and roll each half into rectangle. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut
- Grease two baking sheets and place the hearts on them. Allow to rise another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Melt the Hershey kisses in a 1/4 cup of chocolate milk and add the cocoa syrup
- Dip some of the donuts in the chocolate and add some sprinkles for some colors.
I would make this again if I am craving for some donuts, it's a lot healthier. My kids preferred the ones from DD (of course!) lol. Happy Valentine's day everyone!Shadow Shots